Debt Help – You have rights when dealing with collection agencies.
By visiting the Vine and Williams website, you have taken the first step toward getting the debt help you need to take control of your finances again. Once we file a consumer proposal or personal bankruptcy for you, we have the legal authority to stop debt collectors from contacting or harassing you. In the meantime, here are some helpful things to know about collection agencies:
- After the first time they talk with you, they can’t contact you more than 3 times in a 7 day period without your consent. So why do they still call several times a day? Because if you don’t answer the phone and they don’t leave you a voicemail message, it doesn’t count as contact! Answer the call, keep the discussion brief and tell them you are going to see a trustee. If they ask if they can call you again the next day, say No.
- Collection agencies can’t call you after 9 pm or before 7 am. They can only call between 1 pm and 5 pm on Sunday and they can’t call on a holiday.
- Collection agencies can’t use threatening, profane, or intimidating language. If they do, ask for their Ontario registration number, the collector’s name and file reference number. Send a written complaint to the company and if the problem continues, you can file a complaint with the Ontario government by following this link https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint.
- If you are not certain that the debt is yours, request clarification and further written documentation. You are entitled to some proof this is your debt. If they refuse, put your request to them in writing.
- Keep a record of all phone calls and messages that you receive.
- YOU HAVE RIGHTS when it comes to collectors. For more information, follow this link: https://www.ontario.ca/page/collection-agency-your-rights.
If you are being hounded by collectors, it is time to talk to us. A Consumer Proposal, Personal Bankruptcy and other options exist to stop collectors and help you set your debt, credit, and life straight again. We help people just like you every day. Contact us today so we can get started. Together, we can put debt behind you.